Saturday 13 April 2013

The Perplexing Pineapple The Cryptic Casebook of Coco Carlomagno by Ursula Dubosarsky

As a child I was not a fan of books that featured talking animals. I simply thought they were silly!

I still struggle with them now.

But if you enjoy talking animals that can solve mysteries then this is the book for you. Alberto is a guinea pig from Australia. His cousin, Coco is the bumbling Chief of Police in Argentina.

Coco sends Alberto a cryptic coded message for help and Alberto jumps on the first plane to help out.

It's silly and fun with lots of illustrated puzzle clues by Terry Denton. A few Spanish phrases are thrown in (and explained) to keep you on your toes.

Allen & Unwin are planning to publish a second book in June and a third in July.

A perfect little series for the 5-7 year old early reader in your family.

2 comments:

  1. I have no troubles with talking animals. This sounds like a fun pairing from two of our best talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child I missed the delights of Peter Rabbit and Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows because the talking animals just did my head in (although I loved cartoons like Kimba the White Lion and real animal stories like Lassie and Flicker.)
      Fortunately my teaching career forced me to read Peter, Winnie and Mole and it was love at second sight.

      Delete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.