Wednesday 13 August 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday

WWW is a great opportunity for me to actually look up & define those few tricky words that occur in the book that I'm currently reading.

This week it's Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen for Austen in August.

"A small court was the whole of its demesne in front; and a neat wicket gate admitted them into it." pg 30

demesne
noun
historical

A piece of land attached to a manor and retained by the owner for their own use.


"But I have no inclination for the law, even in this less abstruse study of it."  pg 87

abstruse
adjective
  1. difficult to understand; obscure.


"Mrs Ferrars looked exceedlingly angry, and drawing herself up more stiffly than ever, pronounced in retort this bitter phillippic...." pg 187

philippic

noun
LITERARY: A bitter attack or denunciation, especially a verbal one

"The impertinence of these kind of scrutinies, moreover, was generally concluded with a compliment, which though meant as its douceur, was considered by Marianne as the greatest impertinence of all. "  pg 197
douceur
French 
noun
  1. a financial inducement; a bribe.

10 comments:

  1. I have read Sense and Sensibility so I should know all of these words :) I had definitely forgotten philippic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is demesne pronounced just like it sounds? I'm trying to put my tongue around it. I've never hear of the word douceur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter has been on an Austen kick since I introduced her to Pride and Prejudice this spring. I'll have to share these words with her! Abstruse reminds me of obtuse (dull or dumb). Something abstruse would be particularly difficult for the obtuse reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous14/8/14

    I read Sense and Sensibility last year, but don't remember those words. Probably because my brain couldn't absorb them! Thanks for looking them up for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard or read these words. I really like the "p" one that means an attack. I like the way it's spelled. Thanks for the words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous14/8/14

    Although I read Sense And Sensibility a while back, I did not know these words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Austen is always good for some great words. I knew the first two, demesne I did for a past WWW, but not your last one. I miss WWW I need to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love unusual words hence I love this meme.


    I really like "philippic"


    This is a neat bunch that you have picked. I will actually attempt to use one in conversation today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the unfortunate opportunity to use philippic in a sentence today :-/
      How did you go Brian?

      Delete
  9. Thank you -- I am usually too lazy to look up these words. I thought "douceur" meant something quite different, and I had only a vague notion about "phillippic." I will try to be more attentive in future!

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.