Sunday 17 July 2016

Another Night in Mullet Town by Steven Herrick

Another Night in Mullet Town by Steven Herrick is a verse novel for teens set in a small coastal town with lots of fishing references.

How's that for a hard sell?

The trouble is, I adore Herrick's writing and his ability to draw complex, authentic characters with so few words.

He could probably write a story about boxing or a spider plague and I would still love it, although I hope he doesn't test me out on that score!

Of course, Another Night is Mullet Town is not just about fishing.

Herrick explores his usually themes of belonging, friendship, family and community. He also touches on trust and everyday courage.

I grew up with boys like Jonah and Manx. Herrick writes their stories very sympathetically, however I didn't feel the emotional impact with this story as I have with his earlier books.
People like you and me, Jonah, we drag down the price of everything we touch. 
Life for Jonah and Manx means fishing for mullet at the lake, watching their school mates party on Friday night and wishing they had the courage to talk to Ella and Rachel.
But now their lakeside town is being sold off, life doesn't seem so simple. Manx holds a grudge against the wealthy blow-ins from the city and Jonah just wants his parents to stop arguing.
 
One memorable night at the lake will change everything.
Another Night in Mullet Town has a teen sex scene, drinking and some drug references.
This was one of my reads for Dewey's readathon in April.

The Simple Gift by Steven Herrick
Pookie Aleera is Not My Boyfriend by Steven Herrick

2 comments:

  1. Oooh. Steven Herrick got me reading verse novels- a big thing. I can't wait to read this one. Have you read By the River? It's my favourite so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't read By the River - but with such a big wrap from you, I'll definitely look out for it. He certainly has a way with words.

      Delete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.