Tuesday 12 February 2013

The Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen

Everything about this charming picture book screams 'classic'!

Yet The Library Lion was only published in 2006.

This is a picture book for older readers (i.e. readers who can sit still for a longer period of time) as there is more text than you find in most picture books these days.

What follows is a very sweet tale of a lion trying to find a place to belong (a library), the adjustments he has to make to fit in with the rules of the library, the opposition he faces by some who already belong and think that he shouldn't and the acceptance and understanding he eventually inspires in everybody.

The final few pages cause me to tear up every single time I read it, but then the theme of belonging has been one of my life-long personal issues!

The old fashioned style illustrations, the quaint, gentle story and the universal themes of belonging and acceptance all add up to a modern day classic in the making.

I love it and hope you do too!

1 comment:

  1. Belonging - something with which I struggled too. I'll look for this for my grandsons.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.