Thursday 27 February 2014

Ophelia and the Marvellous Boy by Karen Foxlee

Every now and again it happens.

That perfect alignment of stars, fate and luck.

When you take up a story that sweeps you away with it's beauty, it's gothic horror and it's magic.
Everything is so perfect from start to finish, that you are completely enthralled. So much so, that you realise you're holding your breath - with fright, with pleasure, in anticipation and wonder - to see what happens next.

This is one of those stories.

It has only been 1 day, 23 hours and 12 minutes since I started this book & I can't get it out my mind.
Ophelia and the Marvellous Boy is a real gem. It's fantasy/fairytale with a few frights & shivers, lots of adventure and an incredibly brave but anxious heroine.

This is my second Hot Key book (the first being The Cloud Hunters) and so far their success rate with me is not only 100% but 100% with bells, whistles and balloons!

Ophelia will delight you, Yoko Tanaka's atmospheric illustrations will draw you in and Foxlee's writing will leave you spellbound.
I promise!

Perfect for mature 10+ readers who love mysterious, creepy fairy tales with a heart of gold.

A couple of scenes could be upsetting or distressing, but that's the nature of fairy tales. And this ride is definitely worth it.
I promise!

I will definitely hunt down Foxlee's two adult novels to see if the magic continues.

This book is part of Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday meme for the letter O.

3 comments:

  1. I saw someone else gushing about this book the other day too. I'll have to check it out. I read her first book, The Anatomy of Wings, when it came out, but it was a while ago, and I don't remember it all that well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to gush about Louise!

      Delete
  2. I really liked Foxalees The Midnight Dress , I might have to check this out given your rave review, even though it's obviously very different , given your rave review

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.