Friday 28 February 2014

Owl Babies by Martin Waddell

Owl Babies was first published in 1975 (really!)

It was recently given a new lease on life with the release of a gorgeous pop-up version at Christmas time.

During my 18 years of preschool teaching I somehow managed to miss this delightful picture book.
I only read it for the first time to my storytime groups at work this week.

It was an instant hit!

And what's not to love.
Sarah, Percy & Bill wake up in their nest to find their mother is gone.

Sarah, the eldest, is practical and responsible, keeping everyone's spirits up. Percy follows her lead, but is prone to some anxious moments. And adorable Bill just wants to be loved and cared for.

Owl Babies is a very satisfying story about patience, fears and family dynamics.
Patrick Benson's illustrations add to the emotional resonance of the story.

If you haven't read this book yet, do yourself a favour & grab a copy now. Read it aloud to your favourite 3 yr old and watch the story weave it's magic yourself.

For more picture books about facing your fears and other concepts click here.

5 comments:

  1. Still makes me feel warm inside to read this story and my kids are all grown up:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is just too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/3/14

    Kid 3 is turning 3 today. Do I need a better reason to get this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 3rd birthday - the perfect present :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh I just adore this book. I read it first a few years ago, and reread it quite recently. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.