Wednesday 1 October 2014

Sam and Dave Dig A Hole by Mac Bennett

I was drawn to Sam and Dave because the illustrators name jumped out at me - Jon Klassen - he of I Want My Hat Back fame.

His illustrations have a retro feel and in this case, a retro gaming feel.

The pictures in Same and Dave remind me of one of the early computer games I used to play called 'pipedream', although there is also a 'pacman' look to the tunnels as well.

Mac and Jon mess around with parallel universes, luck, chance and hit & miss "it's behind you!" humour.

The little dog's frustration at just missing out on finding the treasure each time will be echoed by children reading this book everywhere!

It also pays to look over the details on the first and last pages very, very carefully.

3 comments:

  1. I really like these pictures!

    I am actually thinking of the old video game "DigDug"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knowledge of old video games is not very extensive, but that one sounds like a more accurate example than my two!!

      Delete
  2. I do see your video game reference, with buried jewels. It looks cool.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.