Sunday 12 January 2020

Girl, Woman, Other | Bernardine Evaristo #BookerWinner


I'm still trying to catch up on posts leftover from my magnificent Christmas reading binge.

Girl, Woman, Other: A Novel by Bernardine Evaristo is the final one. It is certainly not the least though. In fact, it very nearly overtook The Yield as my favourite book for 2019.

What stopped it from doing so?

Mostly time.

I have lived with and loved The Yield for many months now. It's wonderfulness has been a part of me for a much longer period of time than Girl, Woman, Other. It also has the advantage of being home grown. Poppy's very special Indigenous language dictionary is another stand out feature that I think about often.

But this is about Girl, Woman, Other and it definitely deserves it's own time in the sun to shine.

The twelve interconnected stories about growing up, living, working and loving in London by mostly black British women of various ages, had me hooked from the very first voice, Amma. Via these women, Evaristo talks about feminism, double standards, gender, racism, sexism and ageism.

The twelve chapters read like twelve separate portraits, with Evaristo revelling in the characterisations of each and every one. Her loose-flowing poetic prose was full of vitality and complexities. I was engrossed by each and every story, not wanting them to end, but then getting caught up in the next biography and wondering how they might interconnect.

The diversity and otherness suggested by the title, was explored on many levels. Part of my enjoyment came from reading such a fresh perspective and experiencing a reality different to my own. Note to self, read more diversely in 2020 (most of my 2019 reading was Australian and Indigenous).


Evaristo, herself, said:
I wanted to put presence into absence. I was very frustrated that black British women weren’t visible in literature. I whittled it down to 12 characters – I wanted them to span from a teenager to someone in their 90s, and see their trajectory from birth, though not linear. There are many ways in which otherness can be interpreted in the novel – the women are othered in so many ways and sometimes by each other. I wanted it to be identified as a novel about women as well.

Finally, I will tackle the co-winning of the Booker Prize with Margaret Atwood's The Testaments. I have read both and enjoyed both, but Girl, Woman, Other is by far the richer, more interesting and certainly the more original of the two. Labelling a book 'the best novel of the year', obviously leaves things very open to individual interpretation, but to my mind, Girl, Woman, Other stands head and shoulders above any of the others shortlisted for the 2019 Booker Prize and deserved to win in it's own right.

Facts:
  • Joint Winner of the Booker Prize 2019
  • Shortlisted for the Gordon Burn Prize 2019
  • Named one of Barack Obama’s Favourite Books of 2019

4 comments:

  1. I loved this and while it was officially just part of my top 10, it was my book of the year, really. And yes, I do think they could have found other words to celebrate Atwood while giving Evaristo the prize on her own. Matthew has just started reading is so I'm excited about discussing it all over again with him, and it seems all my friends who haven't read it already are now reading it. I have one of her older books on my TBR, too, and can't wait to get into that.

    I'm planning on reading more diversely this year, too! I read 12% books by POC and that didn't seem enough. Bought some super books on other people's experiences and lives at the end of 2019 and am glad to be working my way towards those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I'm keen to read more work by Evaristo - do you have a recommendation or two?

      Delete
    2. Well, I have Mr Loverman on the TBR and that looks fascinating, so watch this space (well, the space on my blog) although I'm not sure when I'll get to it. I will certainly pick up any others I come across, too.

      Delete
  2. Huh. Intriguing. I've seen this book in other blogs last year. I like what you found in it, that diversity, freshness, and different experiences. I'm keeping an eye on it.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.