Tuesday 7 February 2012

The Little Women Letters by Gabrielle Donnelly

Oh dear!

Such a light weight disappointment. The whole time I skimmed this, I kept hoping it would get better or suddenly develop more substance, but I hoped in vain.

The modern story was mildly interesting as sisters finding their way in the world; falling in love; working; leaving home etc.

But Jo's letters in the attic were simply tedious. I skimmed all the way to the end just to see if it would end the way I predicted...and it did.

Modern treatments of a classic, much-loved story are tricky things. So many times they just don't work.

Geraldine Brook's March worked for me once I let go the notion that I was reading a children's book about Jo, Beth, Meg & Amy. Brook's wrote a very adult novel about Mr March and his experiences during the Civil War. And at that level it was a very successful, enjoyable story. 

But this one doesn't work for me at all - it was charmless, dull and not worth the effort. Much better to spend the time re-reading Little Women and Good Wives instead.



1 comment:

  1. Well I am sorry that it was a disappointment but also a tiny bit glad because I have been half thinking of reading this book and you have saved me the trouble. Thanks Brona!

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.