The ARA Historical Novel Prize is a brand new award for Australian and New Zealand historical novelists. The prize money is $60,000. The overall prize winner will receive $50,000, with an additional $5,000 to be awarded to each of the remaining two shortlisted authors.
It is sponsored by the ARA Group, and presented by the Historical Novel Society Australasia (HNSA).
The criteria is for Australian and New Zealand historical novelists who display 'excellence in writing, depth of research, and reader appeal.'
2020 Longlist: (shortlist S: winner in bold)
- (S) Stone Sky Gold Mountain by Mirandi Riwoe (University of Queensland Press)
- (S) Master of My Fate by Sienna Brown (Penguin Books Australia)
- Bodies of Men by Nigel Featherstone (Hachette Australia)
- (S) Shepherd by Catherine Jinks (Text Publishing)
- The Electric Hotel by Dominic Smith (Allen & Unwin Australia)
- Damascus by Christos Tsiolkas (Allen & Unwin Australia)
- The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams (Affirm Press)
- The Yield by Tara June Winch (Penguin Books Australia)