Wednesday 20 June 2012

Book Blogger Confessions

This is a fairly new meme hosted by For What It's Worth and Tiger's All Consuming Media.

Book Blogger Confessions is a meme that posts the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month, where book bloggers "confess" and vent about topics that are unique to us. Feel free to share, vent and offer solutions. Just keep it respectful - no bashing authors or other bloggers!


This weeks question is:

We have created a blogging time machine! Pretend you can start over. Knowing what you know now about blogging – what do you wish you did differently when it comes to creating/running your blog?

Honestly, I'm not sure I would change anything.

I started my blog for fun.
I had started a new job in an Independent bookshop and for the first time since my Uni days, I suddenly had time to read a lot of books.

(I've always made time to read, but working full-time for 18 years in a fairly stressful and demanding job meant that most weekends and nights I was too tired to do more than read a couple of chapters before dozing off!)

So, a new job, time and the right environment to access lots and lots of books - heaven!

But how to get started?

I began by reading other people's blogs. I built up a personal list of things I liked and didn't like about designs, styles and posts. One of my colleagues already had a blog, so I asked her advice.
And then I started with what I knew.

I knew children's books. And I knew teaching.

So my blog began as a teacher/parent guide to books - was the book good or not, any dubious content or controversial issues, age group that it would suit the best etc.

My blog and my approach to blogging has changed over the 3 years. And I'm sure it will continue to change and evolve as the years go by.

Now my blog is more personal.

I now include adult books. I write the occasional negative review, so my readers can get a fuller picture of my reading habits.

This year I wanted my blog to be more interactive and I set out to learn how.
There were oodles of posts on ways of doing this.
The main thing I got out of it was 'communicate'. If I wanted readers that left thoughtful comments, then I had to go out and find like-minded bloggers and leave thoughtful messages on their blogs!

The same rule applied to blog hops and memes. Find the memes that appeal to you, use them sparingly, then take the time to comment thoughtfully and follow-up with the other participants.

I also joined a couple of blogging groups like Book Blogs and Linky.

As a result I now feel a part of a book blogging community. I love the comments and interest from my readers and I enjoy seeing what other bloggers are reading.

I've learnt html, how to schedule, link, use badges and create templates.

I'm sure this level of enthusiasm and dedication will wane at times, but that's life. It will just be another phase, another evolution in the history of Brona's Books!

Happy Reading xo

P.S. My motto, that has saved my butt several times on this blogger journey, is Keep It Simple & Be Authentic.



3 comments:

  1. You have the right idea about blogging. It can get overwhelming when you try to live up to some self imposed ideal.
    I never really cared about follower #'s but I did get caught with trying to blog every day and took on too many review books.
    Reading for pleasure took a backseat. I feel like I
    m back on track now and back to my original purpose for blogging. Just have fun and talk about what I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I tagged you for a Liebster Blog Award. More info here: http://moonlightreader.com/liebster-blog-award/


    ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's been 3 years - feels like about 6 months ago we first started talking blogs but time flies when you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.