Monday 18 June 2012

Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier

This was my first encounter with Juliet Marillier. I suspect it won't be my last.

My fantasy reading is pretty mainstream and commercial but this is the kind of fantasy writing that Marillier excels at and that I enjoy. Her writing falls into the historic or swords and sandals fantasy genre.

Shadowfell is YA fantasy but very accessible to anyone who enjoys an absorbing, escapist, well-written story.
It almost feels like a Scottish fairytale with it's bleak, harsh landscape and uncanny folk.

Fifteen year old Neryn has fled her homeland in fear of her life. She is hiding from the King's henchmen and hiding her special powers. She has heard about a safe haven - a place for rebels and those fleeing the King's destructive forces called Shadowfell. A mysterious stranger, Flint comes to her aid...but can she trust him?

Suspense, danger and romance all wrapped up nicely in a road trip with fey folk. Perfect rainy weekend reading!

Shadowfell is a July release from Pan Macmillan.

P.S. Marillier is now an Australian, living in WA, hence the Australian tag. But she was actually born & raised in NZ.


1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too! (Also the first time I had read any of her stuff). And I think she has an adult fantasy novel coming out later this year too. I'm interested to see how that compares to the YA.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.