Monday 10 November 2014

It's Monday!

It's time for me to leave our lovely, lovely weekend behind.

It's time to gather my thoughts for the coming week.

Therefore it must be time for It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Since last week, I have discovered a wonderful month long meme to complement my AusReading Month plans.
Hosted by Kim @Sophisticated Dorkiness - I give you Non-Fiction November.

This inspired me to finally finish The Forgotten Rebels of Eureka and to hunt through my TBR pile for more Aussie non-fiction.
First up is a newbie by Adam Spencer called Big Book of Numbers: Everything You Wanted to Know about the NUmbers 1 - 100.

"An hilarious, enlightening romp through the world of numbers with one of Australia’s best-loved broadcasters.
Why do people get freaked out by Friday the 13th? Where does a ‘dozen’ come from? Who was Erno Rubik? And how do you become a master at Sudoku?
In 100 bite-sized chapters, mathematician, broadcaster & comedian Adam Spencer unlocks more of the secrets of the world of numbers.
If you’ve ever wondered about the ‘fourth dimension’, why spider monkeys have so many bones in their hands, which numbers are truly narcissistic, or how on earth you play ‘Buckyball’, Adam Spencer’s Big Book of Numbers will set you straight."

Since my week in review featured the words 'narcissistic' and 'spider-monkey', I really couldn't go past this one!

The Best Australian Science Writing 2014 is edited by Ashley Hay - a new favourite author of mine thanks to her wonderful story The Railwayman's Wife, which I read & reviewed earlier in the year.

"The annual collection celebrating the finest Australian science writing of the year.

Why are Sydney’s golden orb weaver spiders getting fatter and fitter? Could sociology explain the recent upsurge in prostate cancer diagnoses? Why were Darwinites craving a good storm during ‘The Angry Summer’? Is it true that tuberculosis has become deadlier over time? And are jellyfish really taking over the world?

Now in its fourth year, this popular and acclaimed anthology steps inside the nation’s laboratories and its finest scientific and literary minds. 

Featuring prominent authors such as Tim Flannery, Jo Chandler, Frank Bowden and Iain McCalman, as well as many new voices, it covers topics as diverse and wondrous as our ‘lumpy’ universe, the creation of dragons and the frontiers of climate science."

I also have David Malouf's, A First Place, demanding to be read & loved.

I'm about 3/4's of the way through The Getting of Wisdom (& loving it.)
I'm a free-range reader which means that I have no idea what piece of Australian fiction I will move onto next. Thankfully, I have oodles of non-fiction to tide me over & a TBR pile that caters to all my moods & whims!

In the next few hours I will also find out what my next Classics Club Spin book will be - if one of my Aussie classics wins out, it could solve the 'what to read next' dilemma.


What are you reading this week?

11 comments:

  1. Some interesting titles, enjoy!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I nice Aussie flavour there. I've only read The Getting of Wisdom.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see what Australians are reading. Happy to have stopped by!

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've got a good line-up of books! I'm glad you are enjoying Nonfiction November--me too! I'm really looking forward to everyone's Be the Expert posts this week . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I didn't know Adam Spencer had a book out- but then I haven't been in an Aussie bookstore in weeks! Will have to check out new releases. I read Brooke Davis's Lost & Found on the plane, will try and get to a review soon for your Aussie month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Big Book of Numbers sounds great...I wonder if it is available in audiobook format in the US.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly not yet Melinda.
      Adam Spencer apparently retained strong editorial control over the book and self-published instead of compromising about what he wanted to include. It has now been picked up by NewSouth publishers.
      With all the quizzes and illustrations, a paper book would be easier to read as I'm constantly flipping to & from the answers pages at the back of the book.
      Try online at NewSouth Publishers though...

      Delete
  7. Good to see so many Aussie books, Brona. (I didn't know it was nonfiction November.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it when there is a cross-section of different genres.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've added the Big Book of Numbers and the Science Writing collection to my Christmas shopping list for my teenage son. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Big Book of Numbers is wonderful so far - I've just finished the number 12!
      It's funny, informative, interesting & a homage to geeks the world over :-)

      Delete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.