Tuesday 23 December 2014

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I'm not sure what I can say about my reread of A Christmas Carol that hasn't already been said a million times in a million different ways.

A Christmas Carol was first published in 1843 and it has never been out of print since. And there's a very good reason for that.
This novella is full of scary ghosts, the warm glow of redemption and a sweet-natured child to tug at our heart strings. All the ingredients for a good family story!

Dickens weaves Christian themes & social justice concerns into a tale that celebrates traditions, family, kindness & charity. Universal themes that still resonant down through the ages.

Thanks to Nancy's in depth, detailed review, I was on the look out for window motifs and bells. I also spotted many of Dicken's own personal themes shining through this story - the innocence of childhood, the horror of poverty & the almost saccharine sweet image of a family happily gathered around a blazing hearth.

Ultimately, A Christmas Carol reminds us that it is never too late to change, it's never too late to give & love, it's never too late to be kind & forgiving and it's never too late to laugh.

And thanks to all the love out there in twitter and blogger land I plan to watch The Muppets Christmas Carol special this year too!

It turns out I'm a 'Merry Christmas, bless you one and all' type after all :-)

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful review. : ) Such a warm story, even if it sets out to be a little bit spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually read this for the first time last year. I had of course seen numerous film and television versions.I found it to be an aesthetically rich story that went beyond what one experiences on the screen. With that, Dickens message of redemption is indeed timeless.


    have a very Merry Christmas Brona!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous24/12/14

    I was surprised by how much this story put me in the Christmas spirit. The kids are a little too little for it still, so I am planning to watch the Muppets movie with them as well. :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Brona! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Christmas Carol is still one of the only books by Charles Dickens I've been able to finish. Obviously, I prefer his shorter works.

    This month, I've been reviewing favorite books. It can be tough to have new insights into very familiar books.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read any Dickens ( not that I remember), but I have watched a few different versions of the movies.... I think you're right, as is Dickens - It's never too late to change or forgive. That's a great message at Christmas time. Wishing you a lovely Christmas season, and a happy new year. Thanks also for your kind words over at my post today - very encouraging and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous27/12/14

    It was fun reading along with you this Christmas.....I hope you have another book for me to read next Holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, I love a good challenge :-)

      Delete
  8. It's the perfect Christmas read, each and every year! I hope you enjoy The Muppet Christmas Carol. It's so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. It's hard not to love Kermit!

      Delete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.