Tuesday 1 November 2016

AusReading Month 2016 Master Post

Welcome to AusReading Month!



November is our month long celebration of all things Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

Join us as we read, review and blog about Australian books - classics, contemporary, children's, poetry, non-fiction, short stories, popular, literary, award-winning - whatever tickles your fancy.

The only stipulation is that it has to be written by an Australian based author or predominantly set in Australia.



This is the official MASTER POST for AusReading Month where you can link all of your posts & reviews.



Comments will be available on each post that I publish over the month, but this is the only post that will have the linky below.



The rules are simple: read one, two or more Australian books throughout the month of November. Write a review on your own blog and link it back here.

If you're looking for some inspiration, check out the books in the Miles Franklin, Stella Prize, Kibble Literary Award, State by State and CBCA pages on the right of my blog.

Visit and comment on your fellow #AusReadingMonth bloggers posts and help spread the message far and wide.


How to join in AusReading Month?



Simply leave your review or Aussie-related post in the linky below.

If you'd like to, complete an Introductory Post sharing a little about who you are.

Let us know why you have an interest in Australian literature, what Australian books have you read and loved (or hated) already and what do you plan to read this month. 

We'd love to hear from you and about you.


Take photos of your Aussie books and add them to Instagram and Litsy. 

Show us where in the world you're reading your Australian books and tweet your favourite quotes using #AusReadingMonth.



November is also ABC radio's #AusMusicMonth. 

Check out all their live music and special events here (Mr Books and I will be at the live Crowded House concert on the steps of the Opera House - squeal! - almost too excited to speak!)


16 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/11/16

    Aussie, Aussie, Aussie... AusReading Month 2016 kick-off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY I'm excited to be accidentally reading an Aussie read right now - Catherine Jinks' Pagan's Crusade- not my usual fare but there you go. I hope I can join in with more than one book, we'll see how it goes. No matter how much or little I read I'll be interested to follow along with you and see what everyone reads. I wish I had time to read Swords and Crowns and Rings with you, but I know I won't get to it, even though I have a copy in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I am TOTALLY jealous about Crowded House. TOTALLY.

      Delete
    2. I'm still squealing with delight too Louise!! I've loved Crowded House from song one and have all their albums and I was devastated when I couldn't get to their farewell concert.
      Thank goodness farewells are not forever these days :-)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2/11/16

    Crowded House: "Don't Dream its Over" international hit....that reached me in NL!
    Beautiful song and often heard on our Dutch end of the year list
    TOP 2000 songs (annual radio event here between Xmas and New Years)
    Enjoy the concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It will be one of the highlights of #AusMusicMonth

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3/11/16

    I Know My Love, I can find the Australian book in my Dutch library
    but not on an Australian online book website! Oh the irony!
    Strong women were the backbone of outback. Live on the sheep shearing stations or around the goldfields during the rush was hard. Rose and Emma....I wonder if Gaskin touched one of the most important life decisions a womman makes...what did they think of marriage?
    Your comments about teen reading years...love to hear them. I don't think my mother had a bookshelf! Well, not books for me anyways. Great review! What's next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been out of print for a while. Gaskell is out of fashion now - and there are plenty of modern writers who do romantic historical fiction. One of our local authors (& acquaintance of mine) who does this well (apparently as I haven't read any of her books as it's not really my cup of tea any more, but my mum loved her first book) is Johanna Nicholls.

      Delete
  5. Hi Brona, just linked my first book. I'll probably only get to do some children's books reviews. Thanks for the link up. Will enjoy reading through them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your kid's reviews Carol - I'll probably have a few myself :-)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous4/11/16

    Listening to the poem by Henry Lawson 'Past Carin' and reading it on blogpost...it is haunting. I get 'goosebumps' thinking about Polly in Felix Australia, Sybylla in My Brilliant Career and Emma in I Know My Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listened to (or read) any Lawson since my school days, even though he grew up in Mudgee, where I lived for 18 yrs (& every second street or feature is somehow named after him or someone in his family!)

      Delete
    2. I have a friend who came from Gulgong. Her family had a property there for many years.

      Delete
    3. No doubt she could tell you all about Gulgong's famous Henry Lawson Festival!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous26/11/16

    Well, I've linked my last Aussie read for #ausreadingmonth.
    It was my best Aussie reading month in the last four years!
    The 'surprise' book arrived today.
    Aussie book that bought in Germany, go figure. I won't be able to read it in time for the challenge....
    I'll have to keep you in suspense! Thanks for hosting, I have read some great books and 1 H Lawson poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous17/12/16

    I tried to finish 'The Bush' during November #AusReadingMonth...but just could not manage it.
    This is a book that takes time to read. I did want to add it to you masterpost.... hoping people we discover this book and enjoy the land called 'Downunder' !
    Review: The Bush by Don Watson
    https://ipsofactodotme.wordpress.com/2016/12/16/the-bush/

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.