|Photo by Luca Upper on Unsplash|
During a long road trip yesterday, my mind eventually wandered off into book land. One book in particular, has been on my mind a lot lately - A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. At work, in the past month or so, I've been asked more and more for books that will lift spirits, spark joy and make one feel better during these unsettling Covid times. The fiction book I always turn to for this is A Gentleman in Moscow.
It has been two years since I read it, but it continues to enjoy a long warm afterglow in my memory. So much so, I believe I will now reread it, as well as give it to Mr Books to read.
What makes A Gentleman in Moscow so memorable and so perfectly delightful?
- The Count's positive attitude and determination to make the best of his circumstances.
- His enthusiasm and passion to keep on learning new things and exploring.
- His ability to embrace the work available to him and to find something meaningful and purposeful to do.
- Despite difficulties, losses, and grief, he continues to find the joy in every day events and relationships.
- He embodies resilience.
- He honours his past, faces forward, but lives in the present.
- Amor Towles writing.