I have to say that today has been a thoroughly enjoyable day.
A day completely devoted to books and reading. Not as much reading as I would have liked, but I spent a lot of time thinking about reading!
It has been a long time since I spent a whole day reading and curiously I found it difficult to stay focused for more than an hour or 2. I was distracted by my husband, housework, blogging, the news and I kept dozing off (much to my husband's amusement)!
I think that choice of book is important. You need a book that sweeps you up, carries you away and becomes an unputdownable.
The Beautiful and Damned was not one of those books, so perhaps that's why I struggled with focus.
- What book(s) did you read during the event? The Beautiful and Damned by F Scott Fitzgerald
- What book(s) did you finish? I completed 213 pages of 364
- What did you like about our event? I loved the community feel. I enjoyed knowing that there was a group of like-minded readers from all over the world reading a classic at the same time as me, checking blogs, facebooking, twittering and Instagramming their progress. I enjoyed visiting other blogs and seeing what else people were up to. I appreciated that there was no pressure to read all day or to read a certain number of books or pages. The readathon also gave me a reason to devote a whole day to reading.
- Do you have suggestions for future Readathons through The Classics Club? I'm in a weary happy glow of book love right now :-) Perhaps, when I'm less tired, I might have some thoughts about quicker ways of keeping track of everyone's progress. Given that we're all connected because of blogging it's logical to use that as the main tool. But it can be a slow process and distracting! I also had the same problem when I checked into facebook and Instagram, so perhaps the problem was me after all!!
- Would you participate in future Readathons? Definitely - I loved it! Thank you to all the lovely folk at the Classics Club for organising and running their first ever Readathon. I hope you found the experience as worthwhile, enjoyable and rewarding as I did.
Happy Reading and Good Night.