Sunday 24 March 2013

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

How many teen dystopian novels with an alien twist do we really need?

I for one am a little over the whole genre.

But this one looks a little different.

An initial quote from Stephen Hawkings...
“If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

Followed by an action packed rollercoaster ride of who to trust, what really happened and what will happen next.
The waves of destruction are well realised (and quite scary) as Cassie gradually tells us her back story. We also learn more about the waves as the story develops and Cassie works things out for herself.

The book looks good, the website looks prety amazing and it started off well. But then I got a little tired of the non-stop action and I found myself skimming my way to the end. The boot camp scenes bored me to tears!

I need more character development, more real tension and dilemma, not just one random thing after another. It's the same problem I had with I Am Number Four. A good idea that morphed into a mindless blowing random stuff up action movie.

But if relentless action, sinister aliens and survival by any means is your kind of thing, then this book has it in spades.

Due for May release.

Update - my husband read this book on our recent holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it. He loved all the action and the twists and turns!



1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, I'm totally over the whole vampire, dystopian thing- even though I don't actually read them....

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.