Tuesday 21 May 2013

My First First Chapter, First Paragraph!




Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesdays.

I'm also very excited about getting Tess of the D'Urbervilles as my Classics Club spin #2 book.

So I thought I would combine the two.


Chapter 1:

"On an evening in the latter part of May (how perfect!!!!) a middle-aged man was walking homeward from Shaston to the village of Marlott, in the adjoining Vale of Blakemore or Blackmoor. The pair of legs that carried him were rickety, and there was a bias in his gait which inclined him somewhat to the left of a straight line. He occasionally gave a smart nod, as if in confirmation of some opinion, though he was not thinking of anything in particular. An empty egg-basket was slung upon his arm, the nap of his hat was ruffled, a patch being quite worn away at its brim where his thumb came in taking it off. Presently he was met by an elderly person astride on a gray mare, who, as he rode, hummed a wandering tune."

Ahhhhhhh.

12 comments:

  1. Good luck on Tess. I'm not a Hardy fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read (and loved) most of the Hardy books,,,but it was 20 years ago. I'm curious to see what I think now...I just have to finish the 4 books I currently have on the go before I start it proper:-)

      Delete
  2. I do like that intro a lot and well as the cover. I have never tried this one previously. Enjoy

    Thanks for joining us this week; I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I looked at that intro yesterday, too, and was encouraged. I'll start reading later this week, so you may see this as my intro next time! Glad we will be sharing this Classics Club spin book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the movie...lol; maybe I should give this one a whirl. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one years ago and enjoyed it. Hope you do too. Here's my Tuesday intro and teaser: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-14-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll confess that I'm not a Hardy fan either. I do hope you are enjoying the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read this book. It sits on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. not my cup of tea although i'm happy to pass this along to my sis who i think would enjoy it...here is my TI: http://costhenextchapter.blogspot.com/2013/05/teaser-tuesday-11-tuesday-intro-4.html

    sarabeth
    the next chapter

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful book, one of Hardy's best so hope you continue enjoying it

    karen@bookertalk.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tess is one of those books I've always meant to read, but haven't got to reading yet. It will be interesting to see how you like it.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.