Thursday 5 June 2014

Sebastian Lives in a Hat by Thelma Catterwell

I've always loved this story about an orphaned baby wombat & used it regularly during my preschool teaching days.

Reviewing Jeremy for this years CBCA shortlist reminded me of it.

Also based on a true story, Sebastian is the story of a baby wombat lovingly raised by his new family after his mother is killed by a car.

Preschoolers and adults instantly love the helpless orphan & feel invested in his progress.

The story of Sebastian's daily care & growth is told with a light touch and gentle humour.

Every class of preschoolers I have ever taught giggled over the weeing page...and empathised with Sebastian when he had to change hats!

Sebastian Lives in a Hat was shortlisted for the CBCA Picture Book award in 1986.

1 comment:

  1. I had completely forgotten this book. I used to read it to my young students in speech pathology groups. They used to howl with laughter at the seeing scene. I had just forgotten it. Glad to see it again.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.