Tuesday 30 June 2015

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year...


This week the good folk at Top Ten Tuesday have challenged us to list our top 10 reads so far this year.

The hard part, of course, is stopping at ten! And do I dare rate them from favourite to most bestest favourite?

Let's see what happens...

10. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

You haven't read any Moriarty yet?
What are you waiting for?
Moriarty is the perfect holiday read - lightly told yet intelligent.
You won't be disappointed!

9. The Anchoress by Robyn Cadwallader

Fabulous historical fiction set in a Medieval village.
Great new Australian author - UK and U.S. release due soon.

8. Ru by Kim Thuy

Vietnamese/Canadian writer - a fictionalised memoir of exquisite beauty.
Can't wait to read her latest book, Man.

7. The Incredible Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

A children's book that moved me to tears.
Beautifully illustrated too.

6. The Monkey's Mask by Dorothy Porter

Gritty, tense and sexy verse novel from one of Australia's well-known poets.

5. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

A reread that has revealed so much more.
Scarlett is such a complex, fascinating protagonist.
Deeply flawed and not very likeable, but lots to admire.
Recent readalong discussions have centred around the overt racism expressed by Mitchell & whether this affects its ability to connect to future readers.
Or can modern readers filter Mitchell's southern romanticism and see it for what it really was, but still admire the craft involved in creating this epic story?

4. The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro

Incredible experience.
I loved the journey and can't wait for the reread that I feel this story demands.

3. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

More historical fiction, this time WWII.
Rich, epic and sensory.
Pulitzer Prize winner.

2. Germinal by Emile Zola

Riveting story telling, compelling drama, memorable characters.
A highlight in the Rougon-Macquart series.

1. Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain

One of the saddest books I've read for a while.
But so beautifully told - its authenticity and immediacy is what makes it so heart breaking.
I haven't stopped thinking about since & im looking forward to seeing the movie soon.

That ended up being a lot easier than I thought.

What is your favourite read this year so far?

This post is part of Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these...But All the Light We Cannot See is definitely somewhere in the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/7/15

    I loved The Husband's Secret (and I agree, Lianne Moriarty is so talented!). I'm so excited to see All the Light on your list. I've been hearing great things, and my book group is reading it in July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have read some great books this year...Buried Giant (I saw the author here: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2015/05/pixies-dragons-and-buried-giants-kazuo.html)...All the Light...and, of course, GWTW. Great books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just reading "All the Light we cannot see" by Anthony Doerr but haven't read any of the other books I do enjoy this one so far. Great read.

    Marianne from
    Let's Read

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great list! I´ve read Ru and Gone with the Wind and Moriaty. I like Scarlett O´Hara very much. She isn´t always good, but she has guts and is brave and not afraid of working herself for the sake of Tara. I think one has to read Gone with the Wind as historical fiction. I will put Ishiguro on my TBR-list (I couldn´t stand Never let me go!) and Cadwallader, Vera Brittain and Porter, too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2/7/15

    I loved All the Light We Cannot See! I read it near the end of last year so it didn't make my list, but it would have had I read it a little later. And I'm still working on Gone With the Wind for the reading event. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but I do understand why it's been given so much praise over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought All the Light We Cannot and have the Ishiguro book. Glad to see you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh glad you liked the Ishiguro novel; good to know. I was a bit nervous after some of the feedback on it so I haven't picked it up yet. But wait ... You didn't like Never Let Me Go?! That is exquisite! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a full, varied list. When I was younger I would tell people my favorite book was Gone with the Wind. Now I need to reread it to see if it still makes the top ten.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.