Saturday, 17 October 2015

Women's Classic Literature - My List

This list is a combination of the women authors on my current Classics Club list as well as classic women authors residing on my TBR pile. It has been inspired by The Classics Club Women's Classic Literature Event.


English


Austen, Jane                          Love and Friendship
Barker, Pat                            The Regeneration Trilogy
Bowen, Elizabeth                  Death of the Heart, House in Paris, The Last September
Bridge, Ann                           Peking Picnic
Bronte, Anne                         Agnes Grey
Bronte, Charlotte                   Villette
Bronte, Emily                        The Night is Darkening Round Me (poems)
Brookner, Anita                     The Rules of Engagement, Strangers
Burnett, Frances Hodgson     The Secret Garden, The Little Princess
Delafield, E.M.                      Diary of a Provincial Lady
Du Maurier, Daphne              Jamaica Inn, Frenchman's Creek
Dundy, Elaine                        The Dud Avocado
Gaskell Elizabeth                   Cranford, Wives and Daughters, Mary Barton, Ruth
Holtby, Winifred                   South Riding
Jenkins, Elizabeth                  Hare and the Tortoise
Kennedy, Margaret                The Ladies of Lyndon, The Forgotten Smile
Lee, Hermione                       Edith Wharton (bio), Virginia Woolf (bio)
Lessing, Doris                       Golden Notebook
Manning, Olivia                    The Balkan Trilogy
Mitford, Nancy                      Love in a Cold Climate, Voltaire in Love, Frederick the Great, Madame de Pompadour, The Sun King, Don't Tell Alfred, The Pursuit of Love (reread)

Murdoch, Iris                        The Sea, The Sea
Nesbit, Edith                         The Railway Children               (reread)
Pearce, Philippa                    Tom's Midnight Garden    (reread)
Peyton, K.M.                        Flambards, Edge of the Cloud, Flambards in Summer  (rereads)
Potter, Beatrix                       The Complete Tales of Peter Rabbit
Pym, Barbara                        A Glass of Blessings, Less Than Angels, No Fond Return of Love, Crampton Hodnet, Civil to Strangers, Some Tame Gazelle, An Academic Question, Quartet in Autumn

Rossetti, Christina                Poems
Rowley, Hazel                      Tete-a-Tete: The Lives and Loves of Simone de Beauvoir & Jean-Paul Sartre
Smith, Dodie                        I Capture the Castle
Spark, Muriel                      A Far Cry From Kensington
Taylor, Elizabeth                 A Game of Hide and Seek
Uglow, Jenny                      Elizabeth Gaskell (bio)
Woolf, Virginia                  A Room of One's Own  (reread), Night and Day, Between the Acts, Jacob's Room, The Years, The Voyage Out

Australian

Dark, Elenor                                The Timeless Land
Harrower, Elizabeth                     The Catherine Wheel
Hill, Ernestine                              My Love Must Wait
Lindsey, Joan                               Picnic at Hanging Rock   (reread)
Richardson, Henry Handel          The Fortunes of Richard Mahony, Maurice Guest                         
St John, Madeliene                      Essence of the Thing
Stead, Christina                           The Salzburg Tales
Turner, Ethel                                Seven Little Australians   (reread)
Von Armin, Elizabeth                  The Enchanted April   (reread)

American

Alcott, Louisa May        Little Women, Good Wives, Little Men, Jo's Boys   (rereads)
Angelou, Maya              I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings  (reread)
Buck, Pearl S                 The Good Earth
Cather, Willa                  One of Ours, The Professor's House, Song of the Lark, O Pioneers, Death Comes to the Archbishop
Coolidge, Susan             What Katy Did     (reread)
Ferber, Edna                   So Big
Gordon, Charlotte          Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Her Daughter Mary Shelley (bio)
Highsmith, Patricia        The Talented Mr Ripley, Carol
Morrison, Toni               Beloved
Plath, Sylvia                   Bell Jar
Walker, Alice                 Color Purple (reread), Possessing the Secret of Joy (reread)
Wharton, Edith               Age of Innocence (reread), Summer, House of Mirth (reread), The Children, Ethan Frome (reread)
Wilder, Laura Ingalls     Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie (reread)

Canadian

Montgomery, L.M.               A Tangled Web

Danish

Blixen, Karen               Out of Africa

Dutch

Frank, Anne            Diary of a Young Girl   (reread)

French

de Beauvoir, Simone            Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter
Sand, George                        Indiana

German

Arendt, Hannah                             Eichmann in Jerusalem
Canetti, Veza                                The Tortoises
Kerr, Judith                                   When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit    (reread)
von Droste-Hushoff, Annette        The Jew's Beech

New Zealand

Park, Ruth                                    Swords and Crowns and Rings

Russian

Nemirovsky, Irene             Suite Francaise    (reread)

Swedish

Lindgren, Astrid               Pippi Longstocking


I have grouped my female authors (perhaps controversially) by country of birth. 
Which is why you will find Nemirovsky under Russian, not French - Park in New Zealand, not Australia - and Von Armin in Australia, not England.

My aim is find a classic women's author from as many countries in the world as possible.
If you know of any from personal experience (i.e. you've actually read the book/author), I'd love to know about them. You can even leave a link for your review of it in the comments below.

I plan to host a readalong for Age in Innocence in January to coincide with my Wharton Review month.

This list will no doubt evolve.

Happy (classics) Reading!

14 comments:

  1. I have posted today about a Virginia Woolf read-a-long. Not supposed to be an official sign up post as such but people seem to be using it as such. So... seems we have a read-a-long for Woolf. I just finished A Room of One's own will try and write about it in a day or so but did really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a Woolf readalong - I'll check it out too :-)

      Delete
  2. This is such an exciting list, Brona. YOU ARE REREADING LITTLE WOMEN! That's my current train read. I have a different read for every occasion, you see. :) The Bell Jar! Agnes Grey! Villette! EXCELLENT picks!! Also, Love and Freindship is hysterical. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Little Women et al sooooooo many times during my youth, but not for a long time now. I think it's long overdue :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've actually read Little Women, but I have in on my classics club list. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I've been struggling a bit coming up with authors from countries other than England and the US. So I will use your list as inspiration. I won't read The Age of Innocence with you, since I've just recently reread it, but I'm already planning for your Wharton month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll manage a couple of Whartons during January too - which one do you think you might like to try next?

      Delete
  5. What a list!
    I've only read 8 of these authors.
    I need to hunker down and read more women writers!
    You have a few chunksters in there as well! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Karen Blixen / Isak Dinesen ! A great read. Also Anne Frank. etc. Like your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the Meryl Streep movie but I've not read the book yet.
      Thanks for popping by :-)

      Delete
  7. You probably don't want another Aussie author, but I read 'Generations of Men' by Judith Wright about 10 years ago & liked it enough to want to re-read it, which I haven't done yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to have an Aussie author/book to look forward to :-)

      Delete
  8. I love the list. I especially enjoy tips for German authors, since I've struggled to find female German classical authors. If you're still interested in tips for countries you haven't covered I would recommend:

    La femme de Gilles by Madeleine Bourdouxhe (Belgium) a short book about a housewife dealing with her husbands adultery. https://lesserknowngems.wordpress.com/2017/03/03/la-femme-de-gilles-by-madeleine-bourdouxhe/

    Detective Muller by August Groner (Austria) a series of detective stories with an interesting detective at the center https://lesserknowngems.wordpress.com/2017/03/08/detective-muller-by-auguste-groner/

    Marie Under, who was a poet from Estonia who published poems during a very critical time in Estonian history https://lesserknowngems.wordpress.com/2016/12/30/poems-by-marie-under/

    Miss Majoribanks by Margaret Oliphant (Scotland, I wasn't sure about this one as I don't know if you mean UK when you say English), but the book is quite similare to Emma, but with a more well rounded (in my oppinion) character at the center https://lesserknowngems.wordpress.com/2017/01/15/miss-majoribanks-by-margaret-oliphant/

    Lieutenant Nun by Catalina De Erauso (Spain) a autobiographical book about a girl raised to be a nun who runs away from her convent, dresses as a man and travels to America (the continent, not US) https://lesserknowngems.wordpress.com/2016/10/22/lieutenant-nun-by-catalina-de-erauso/

    The House of Ulloa by Emilia Pardo Bazán (Spain) a psycological thriller about what happens when the gentry are alone too long in the country side, and what happens to the people ropped into their lives https://lesserknowngems.wordpress.com/2016/10/23/the-house-of-ulloa-by-emilia-pardo-bazan/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a great list - thanks for the tips. I'll check out your reviews over the Easter weekend when i have more time :-)

      Delete

I love hearing from you but I understand that blogger can be a frustrating experience for many.
Make sure you're logged into your blogger account or google+ account before writing your comment, otherwise blogger will eat it. I have occasionally found lost comments by hitting the back arrow button.
If all else fails, you can contact me on my fb page or twitter.
Thanks for stopping by.