Sunday 6 December 2015

The Fortunes of Richard Mahony - Ultima Thule

I made it!

The 941st page of The Fortunes of Richard Mahony by Henry Handel Richardson is read, lamented and sighed over.

Not quite in the #AusReadingMonth time frame I originally set out, but a run of bad headaches and vertigo got in the way at the end.

Unlike poor Richard Mahony though, my brain has returned to normal working order.

What an epic tragedy is the life and times of Mahony and Polly.

In true Dickensian style we see the rise and fall, rise and fall of Mahony's fortunes. Randomness and displacement the common themes each time. Right to the bitter end, dear Polly is still frustrated by the "dear warm incompetent human creature at whose side she had been through so much."
Even though his troubles were mostly of his own making. For he had always asked for more of life than it could give: and if, for once, he got what he wanted, he had not known how to sit fast and hold it: so the end was the poor old wreck on the bed before her.
Although all three stories follow the life and times of Richard Mahony, the books are really about Polly, or Mary as we must call her for most of the story. From her shy, insecure beginnings as a young wife, Mary blossoms and grows strong. She stands before all obstacles, she rises to each challenge and faces down all adversity. She is endlessly patient, determined and practical. Mary is open, friendly and warm-hearted to Mahony's secretive, insular ways. She is rational in the face of Mahony's wild dreams and fantasies.

Richardson also shows us how she is shackled by the conventions of the time - about what is right and proper for women to do or not do. Mary accepts these conventions as well but works within these boundaries as best she can.

Richardson's own father died when she was but nine years of age (just like Cuffy) whilst her mother was running the local post office at Koroit, Victoria.

One suspects that many of the feelings and agonies subscribed to Cuffy were Richardson's reliving of this painful, difficult period of their lives. Ultima Thule has all the agonies and peculiarities of a memoir. Like Richardson, Cuffy is given musical talents. He is a difficult child, deeply private and circumspect at a young age. Curious, bright and deeply traumatised by his father's illness and decline. I would love to now read a biography about Richardson to draw the parallels that are obviously on display here.

Koroit Post Office

Interesting, the Koroit Post Office that was built in 1872, which housed Richardson and her family for two years, still exists. Richardson father was buried in nearby Tower Hill Cemetery. A brass plaque on the wall states that Richardson lived here.

Another place that still exists from Richardson's childhood is Lake View House at Chilton. In Ultima Thule, Chilton is called Barambogie. Sadly, their time here was the beginning of the end for their father's health and their fortunes, as it was too for Richard Mahony.

Lake View
Lake View was preserved by local enthusiasts until the National Trust stepped in to take over running the site in 1970 - 100 years after Richardson's birth.

Blanche Terrace, 179 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy (below) is also heritage listed. Built between 1866 - 67, it was Ethel Richardson's birthplace.


The Fortunes of Richard Mahony is an heroic saga that takes us on a character-driven psychological journey through mid 1800's Victoria as well as through the trials and tribulations of one family. It is an emotional, epic and fascinating read, populated by a full cast of well-drawn personalities. It questions the spiritual, intellectual and societal mores of the times. It highlights women's issues, the effects of poverty and mental health problems, the search for home and belonging and the meaning of life.

I'm so glad that I have taken this time to read this classic Australian novel.
The story of Mahony and Mary will stay with me for a very long time (which is just as well, because I don't know if I will ever have the courage to reread it!)
But read it once, you must.

My Australia Felix post is here.
The Way Home is here.

Also reviewed by Me, You and Books.
This post is part of my Australian Women Writers challenge.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/12/15

    Congratulations on your first book for Women's Classic Literature. This looks like a good read, I missed out on Australia Reading Month this year due to how busy work has been but I have a few books I picked up on my travels there that I am hoping to get round to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/12/15

    Again, my congratulations...finishing this book! As said, 'It's bigger than the bible!"
    Now let's get crackin' with the next challenges....#XmasInSummer ( for the readers up north) #XmasInWinter and Women's Classic Literature. I want to read more 'plays' in 2016! Discovered their 'beauty' while reading biography Tennessee Williams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed yes!

      I've already 'adjusted' my #XmasinSummer list to include my #ccspin book - So Big - which also fits into my Pulitzer and WCLC.

      Good luck with your plays.

      Delete
  3. I am so delighted to find another enthusiast for HRR! I love this trilogy - nothing else I've ever read quite captures the savagery of the Australian heat but also our rapscallion ways and our venturesome restless spirits. I read it too long ago to have reviewed it on my blog, so I'm really glad you've reviewed it here. Hopefully many other readers will tackle it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm linking you to my AWW Gen 2 page, which I will publish "shortly". I have the photo to complete your collection - Maldon PO (here: https://theaustralianlegend.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/the-adventures-of-cuffy-mahony-henry-handel-richardson/). In fact you 'must' read Cuffy Mahony - The End of Childhood, as it is a short sequel to The Fortunes ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't know there was a very brief sequel...looks like another book to add to my wishlist when scouring second hand bookshops :-)

      I also reviewed The Getting of Wisdom in 2014 if that's useful for your your post Bill.

      Delete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.