Thursday 7 July 2016

Miss Moon: Wise Words from a Dog Governess by Janet Hill

Miss Moon is one of those delightful picture books for children, that's really for the grown-ups (and dogs) in their life!

Full of simple truisms and etiquette advice designed to remind us of what really matters. Each double page spread elegantly highlights such gems as -

  • Always give the warmest of welcomes.
  • A tidy space is a welcoming space.
  • Show your loved ones you care.
  • Respect the property of others.
  • Friends come in many shapes and sizes.
  • A good book will chase away the dark.


Most of the story is actually revealed on the fly cover of the book.

We are told that Miss Wilhelmina Moon is a dog governess. Her first placement was on a small island off the coast of France looking after 67 dogs!

In this book, she collects twenty of her hard-won lessons in "raising happy, healthy, well-mannered pooches - and people."

She is a Mary Poppins for dogs!

Miss Moon is unflappable and dignified at every eventuality.
Poise and graciousness are paramount. Kindness is expected as the norm.
What's not to love?


Canadian artist, Janet Hill uses oil on canvas to create these beautiful pages. You can watch her technique here at the Daily Globe and Mail site.

Each double page spreads has a border with a lesson insert. French chic oozes from every image.

The dogs are given anthropomorphic characteristics (I haven't had a chance to use that word since my Uni assignments on themes in childhood literature!)

We see dogs in glasses, in Halloween outfits, riding bikes and dressed as pirates.


Miss Moon is more an art book than a story book and a more useful guide to living than anything Marie Kondo has produced so far! In fact, everything about this book brings you joy.


Full of doggy adorableness and cuteness, this is a dog lovers paradise.

Also available as Mademoiselle Moon Gouvernante de Chiens.



This post is part of my Paris in July challenge.

13 comments:

  1. I love France and I love picture books...so I will have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/7/16

    Loved this book...even if I am a 'cat' person!
    The class foto, the art of conversation....and especially the video of Janet Hill at work, they were all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Janet Hill's work and have a couple of her paintings hanging in my apartment. I didn't know she had turned her dog governess series into a book so I am very excited to see this! (And very tempted to order it!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a fun book! Love the pictures - they are amazing! Great pick for Paris in July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you enjoyed this one too! It is a perfect pick for Paris in July.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I've never heard of this one, it looks delightful. I love your Kondo reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kondo references keep popping up in my posts lately! It obviously had more of an impact than I thought.

      Delete
  7. Awesome. I'm in love with this just thro your post. Love dogs and believe they can teach us so much. I'm looking for this while I'm on holidays. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds charming. I'd love to be a dog governess, unless I needed to pick up after all of them. On Mondays, I have a meme called Dreaming of France. Come play along if you get a chance. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a really sweet book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a gorgeous book with lovely illustrations. Thanks for sharing, and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  12. The illustrations look really good.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.