Saturday 29 April 2017

Dewey's Readathon April 2017

Dewey's Readathon is one of my favourite weekends of the entire year - a whole 24 hours to settle down with a good book or ten and binge read A L L day!


Last October we had 1723 readers participating from all around the world - Australia, Austria, Bosnia, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Sweden, US and Wales.

I prefer to keep things simple, so I will use this one post for all my updates as well as for the memes that I join in throughout the day/night.

Starting Meme

Where Are You Reading?


I'm in Sydney, Australia.
My start time is 10 pm on Saturday the 29th April.
Therefore most of my readathon will actually occur on Sunday the 30th April.

I now have a lovely surprise birthday dinner to attend for a very dear friend on Saturday night, which involves quite a bit of travelling time. I hope to have an audio book lined up for part of the drive home.

What Do You Hope To Read?


I have several half finished books that I would like to spend some time with this weekend.
When I get that tired, weary feeling I have a few children's books to dip into as well.


Who Am I?


I am a book reader, book seller and book blogger.
I always carry a book wherever I go - you just never know when you might have a spare 10 minutes to read!
I love the classics, historical fiction, biography & memoir.
I'm passionate about reading Australian Women Writers.
I also love to travel and I'm an avid admirer of art.

My Readathon Plans?


I will check into twitterinstagram and litsy (@Brona) as I can throughout the readathon, but the actually reading part probably won't begin until the second half.

I plan to join in Fig and Thistle's #IGreadathon challenge - here.




In previous years it has got very quiet on social media during the Australian Sunday afternoon period as those on the other side of the world grab a snooze. To help those of us reading Down Under, we have created our own cheer squad #TeamANZ2017.

Our little group is growing every year.
If you'd like to be added to the team, please leave a comment below or message us on twitter.

Here are the members of #TeamANZ2017 - ElizabethRebecca, Elanor, JadeLouiseMaree, Nikks & Dimitra.

Elizabeth @Earl Grey Editing is also hosting hours 18-20 of the readathon (3-5 pm Sunday AEST).




I started work on this post several days ago. 

Since then I have been alerted to some tragic news about one of our #TeamANZ members. Sadly, Heather Croxon died after being involved in an accident in early March.
I only knew Heather via her blog, Bits and Books and her instagram, litzy & twitter feeds, but this news has gutted me.

Her enthusiasm for books, the reading community and her budgie knew no bounds. I loved the time and effort she took to create beautifully styled book pics and I always enjoyed seeing her latest book recommendations and links for #6degrees and #TopTenTuesday.

I cannot imagine what Heather's family must be going through now, but if they somehow wander onto this post, I would like them to know how much fun and creativity Heather added to the book blogging world. She will be missed.
Heather was only 31.

Thank you also to Julianne and Andi @Dewey's 24hr Readathon for honouring Heather's memory in their recent post.


Starting Pages:


The Fall pg 20
Yours Sincerely, Giraffe pg 0
Journey to the Rivers pg 0
The Disappearnce of Ăˆmile Zola pg 105
Empress Dowager Cixi pg 115
Exit West pg 0
Barrangal Dyara pg 87

The End

My weekend away interfered with my readathon reading plans more than I anticipated. 
My friend's birthday party was bigger, longer and later than I thought, which meant I was tired (& a little seedy!) all day Sunday. 
By the time we got back home again, I only had 7 hrs left to read.

Thanks to my tiredness, I decided to stick with the kid's book on my list.
It was a good choice.
It felt like I read a lot which means that I now feel like I had a successful, albeit short, readathon.

Books and pages:

Womankind magazine - 6pgs
I read (& finished) The Fall by Tristan Bancks - 223pgs
Started (& finished) Your Sincerely, Giraffe by Megumi Iwasa - 102pgs
The Disappearance of Emile Zola by Micahel Rosen - 50pgs
Started Journey to the River Sea by Iva Ibbotson - 47pgs

Total: 428pgs

How did your fare?

The next readathon will be on 21st October 2017.

8 comments:

  1. I saw the news about the tragic accident that killed Heather back in March. I hadn't found her blog before that unfortunately. It's a sad loss for the book blogger community.

    I am excited to join in with my second Dewey's Readathon. I'm a bit better prepared this time, and so looking forward to it. I think I might even kick off a bit early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembering hearing the news about this too but didn't realise it was Heather.

      Rebecca had the idea of honouring her memory by reading in of her fav books for readathon - I just finished Museum of Modern Love - one of Heather's favourite pics of 2016.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about Heather.

    Though I have never participated this is such a fun event even for those of us who are just observing.

    Some year I hope to join in but life is so busy right now.

    Have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only join in the readathon for the last half this year as we went away suddenly for the weekend. But I can still tweet & Instagram & cheer squad #Teamanz in between times :-)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous30/4/17

    Happy Reading Brona! Wonderful collections...let me know how you find Empress Dowager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a Brona's Salon post on my initial reactions to Empress Dowager a couple of weeks ago. I'm living it with some reservations....:-)

      Delete
  4. That's an amazing effort in 7 hours, especially when a tad under the weather. I slept through 10 hours of it! Ah well, if that's all it takes to have a great nights sleep then I'd plan a readathon every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading mostly junior fiction makes the tally look good!
      I was also very focused on my reading because I only 7 hrs to give this weekend. When I have the whole 24 hrs ahead of me, I get very distracted by everything.

      Glad you got a good night's sleep out of it :-)

      Delete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.