Tuesday 12 December 2017

Top Ten Tuesday My Favourite Reads of 2017

The Broke and the Bookish host a weekly meme called Top Ten Tuesday.
Each week they nominate a topic to encourage those of us who love a good list to get all listy.
This week it's all about our favourites.

My Top Ten Favourite Reads for 2017


It's always difficult to narrow down all those glorious books read during one calendar year into just ten stand-outs. So I have to have a few rules to help.
  • The book must have been read entirely in 2017 (which automatically cut two books from my possibilities - Tim Winton's book of essays, The Boy Behind the Curtain and Salt Creek by Lucy Treloar).
  • The book must not be a re-read - that's too easy (obviously if I'm re-reading, it must be a book I enjoyed enough to want to go round again) - which counts out The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Northanger Abbey.
  • No picture books or coffee table books allowed (bye bye Rockhopping by Trace Balla).
Which leaves me with 16 books that were a four or five star rating on Goodreads.


10.
Children of the New World by Alexander Weinstein

A fabulous taste of speculative fiction by a debut writer, enjoyed by myself and Mr Books.



9.
The Fortune of the Rougons by Emile Zola

After reading Germinal & Nana, I enjoyed going back to the start of the series to see where it all began.


8.
Sisters by Ada Cambridge

A new-to-me Australian author from the 1800's who deserves to be more widely read.


7.
The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose

Winner of the Stella Prize and shortlisted for many more.
This book started a run of art and love in New York stories for me.


6.
What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt

More art and love in New York.


5.
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid

Fascinating stuff about love, doors, wars and belonging.


4.
Insomniac City by Bill Hayes

Love and art in New York part three!


3.
Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie

If you know the story of Antigone, you know how this will end, but Shamsie still keeps you second-guessing all the way through.


2.
The Murderer's Ape by Jakob Wegelius

It's not often that I include a junior fiction book in my top ten, but I loved this book so much, I want every one to read it.
I haven't stopped thinking about it or Sally Jones, the ape in question, since July.
This is a story for all readers aged 10-110 years.


1.
Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

Yes, I really do think this book deserves all the hype and the awards and the accolades being heaped on it.
I'm already looking forward to the re-read.


What was your favourite read for 2017?
Go on - tempt me!

16 comments:

  1. I've only read number 9, so you've given me a bunch more books to consider. Glad you had such a good reading year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lincoln in the Bardo is on my TBR list as it was named more often on end of the year favorite books lists. 2017 favorite books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12/12/17

    I like that you've imposed rules upon yourself! :-) It looks like you've read some fab books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of the books on your list this week. Some of them will be added to my ever growing reading wishlist.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-favorite-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read any books on your list, but the second book looks like a beautiful painting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was amazed at Lincoln in the Bardo. I am hoping to read Exit West over our break. Thanks for sharing your list!

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/12/my-favorite-books-of-2017-53-books-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know that Lincoln in the Bardo is worth the hype; it`s on my 2018 TBR.

    Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to see Exit West on your list. I loved it, but feel like a lot of people didn't quite get it. On the other hand, for me Lincoln in the Bardo was just okay. We're all such different readers! You have some other books here I need to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard amazing things about Lincoln in the Bardo, and i'm glad it's worth a re-read!!! I saw it made it to the Goodreads Choice Awards finals, so it must be good.

    Here's my TTT: https://bookslikewolves.wixsite.com/blog/single-post/2017/12/12/Blogmas-Day-12-Top-17-Books-of-2017

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I haven't read any of these, but plan to try Exit West, Lincoln in the Bardo, and, of course, The Fortune of the Rougons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent list! I haven't read any of these yet, but I've added a few to my list!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Children of the New World was one of my favorite books last year. It’s so creative!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've read 4 books that are on your list: #1 , #3, #5, and #6. I really liked Kamila Shamsie's novel Home Fire and it could be my top pick this year. I also liked a Canadian novel called Brother by Michael Chariandy. Check it out if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I already had Brother on my wishlist thanks to its Giller Prize longlisting - we're on the same wavelength :-)

      Delete
  14. There are a couple on your list I haven't heard of but I'm taking note! Thank you for sharing. I'm really interested in Exit West - just have heard so many great reviews of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't do a list yet as I do often read some amazing ones in the very last part of the year. A great list here, though.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.