Thursday 9 February 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

This book came to me with a LOT of hype attached to it and a LOT of high expectations.

So I was bound to be disappointed, I guess.
The ghastly descriptions early on were so annoying I didn't know whether to laugh-out-loud or throw the book across the room! I found it quite slow to begin with and a little confusing about what type of book it wanted to be - thriller? paranormal? romance? issue-based?

But things did improve. Some of the questions and confusions were resolved and the pace picked up until it became a real page-turner. I can see that this could become quite a hit with older teens looking for a light-weight paranormal romantic thrill!

The slutty talk early on in the book was annoying, but then I remembered that teens like to talk a lot about sex and the ones doing the most talking are the ones that usually know the least! That was when I realised that Hodkin actually knows her audience well.

I'm assuming there will be a sequel after re-reading the confusing last chapter. I don't think I care enough to check it out though :-(

Warning this book contains lots of sexual references, teenage angst and romantic cliches.

P.S. I've just been reading some reviews that refer to Mara's brother Daniel...and yes, he sounds amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.