Monday 25 February 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I'm not sure what else I can add to all the rave reviews already multiplying in bloggerland about The Fault in Our Stars.

Except to say, that in my humble opinion, they're all spot on - rave away!

I read Paper Towns about 3 years ago (I was interested to note how my blogging style had changed in that time). Back then I was impressed by Green's ability to capture teenage dialogue so perfectly - the sass, the attitude, the humour.
The Fault in Our Stars is no different.

Hazel and Augustus may be living with cancer but Green shows how humour can add to quality of life and promote resilience. He also shows us ways of being strong and determined and that it's okay to ask for help. He shows us ways to live our lives, the importance of connecting & relating to those around you. He shows us the good bits and the bad bits. And he shows us ways to grieve.

This book is about older teens, therefore the content is more suitable for older teens. There are numerous sexual comments and a couple of low-key sex scenes. However, this is a book about relationships, life and death and therefore suitable for anyone old enough to grapple with such ideas!

As an aside, I love how The Great Gatsby has completely insinuated itself in to my life at the moment. There was a Gatsby reference in 1Q84 (below) and now we have another one in this book!

In reference to a character in a book Hazel & Gus read together, "He isn't a con man or not a con man; he's God. He's an obvious and unambiguous metaphorical representation of God, and asking what becomes of him is the intellectual equivalent of asking what becomes of the disembodied eyes of Dr T.J. Ecklesburg in Gatsby."

After Paper Towns I wanted to read more Green. I don't know why I waited 3 years to do so - perhaps I was concerned he wouldn't live up to my high expectations?

But he did...and I will definitely read his other books - soon!!

2 comments:

  1. Your review makes me look forward to TFIOS even more - I'm one of the few who still hasn't read it.
    Since you've read the book, who do you think should play Hazel? I'd love for you to share your thoughts on my post about casting Hazel if you get a moment.
    http://www.chapter1-take1.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-fault-in-our-stars-movie-casting.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it either, but do so want to- you're making me even more keen....

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.